Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

I'm the Decider!


Today President Bush shook up some of his White House staff, but stood loyally by Defense Secretary Rumsfeld, even after 7 retired generals called for Rummy's resignation. That he made some concession to the complaints that have been shouted at the White House for months now is admirable, but the way he defended Rumsfeld bordered on Childish.

That Bush fired anyone from his staff is pretty impressive. Most of his inner circle has been with him since his time in Texas. Bush does not quickly forget his loyal cohorts. In fact, if you look at some of my previous posts, you'll see that when someone screws up in his administration, he or she usually gets a promotion in proportion to the egregiousness of his or her mistake. Still, after a series of press bungles, McClellan is walking out the door. Even Karl Rove - mastermind and architect behind most of Bush's political maneuverings has been demoted and stripped of his policy responsibilities. So the fact that Bush consented to transfuse any new blood into a paling White House shows some effort.

Granted, this so-called 'new blood' isn't very new. Josh Bolton came from across the street, and Bolton's own replacement is just an old crony. But what I found most disconcerting was how childish Bush's defense of Rumsfeld was. He said,
"I hear the voices, and I read the front page, and I know the speculation. But I'm the decider, and I decide what is best. And what's best is for Don Rumsfeld to remain as the secretary of defense."
Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if he stole the ball and walked off the field. I wouldn't have been surprised if he complained to his teacher that people were making fun of his friend. Come on Bush, all you have to say is "He has my confidence. I think he is a smart guy and that he's doing a great job. He stays." Instead, you said "I'm The Decider?" How exactly did you think that was going to play to the American public?

Bush has made some effort to appease the Republicans and Democrats who have been calling for new faces in the White House for ages. Still, he seems to want to hold on to those who are drawing the most heat. I am just not sure if its because he actually thinks it's right, or if its because Bush just doesn't want to back down. This is one occasion, Mr. Bush, where a staunch position against flip-flopping may be hurting the country more than helping it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?